Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Power of Positive Thinking

So, ah, Wendy Case likes the Silent Years quite a bit by the looks of it.

Which is fine -- she's entitled to her opinion and all that -- I liked their last album quite a lot too. As I've said before, I used to find them kind of preening and pretentious (I probably saw them four or five times during that 3-year period where nobody in Detroit came to see them and apparently they were huge in New York, playing sold out shows). But the newer band members seem quite strong and for me at least, the last album showed a band that had grown, matured and had developed some songwriting chops that were previously unapparent to me.

I know they have a good slot at the Metrotimes Blowout and that we should expect said publication to promote its event with profiles of the featured bands. But is it just me or does this article strike precisely the wrong tone?

I can't point a finger at the author or the band -- I wouldn't know which to believe anyway -- sometimes a reporter embellishes or misinterprets and sometimes an interviewee doesn't think about how their words might be interpreted.

I hope the next album that was promised for this summer is another big step forward, primarily musically, but also in terms of recognition for the band. Cause quite frankly otherwise, articles like this have the appearance of big ole' checks your ass can't cash.

The Silent Years play the Blowout! festival pre-party on Wednesday, March 5, at the Majestic Theatre, 4120 Woodward Ave., Detroit

If you haven't yet got your bracelet, head on over to Metrotimes.com and do so.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home